Thursday 12 June 2014

CD REVIEW: LIL D SIZZLES ON "#ABOUTTIME"

"#AboutTime" is nothing short of a musical delight.

Desmond Katamila AKA Lil D is a Namibian R&B crooner who has rubbed shoulders, in both the studio and on stage, with the most respectable and popular artists in the Namibian entertainment scene. Some of the prominent names that he has worked with include: Gazza, KK, D-Nyc, Bertholdt and N.I.A. Not the one to be outdone the young singer has just recently released his first studio project titled "#AboutTime". I decided on getting myself a copy and boy am I getting value for my money. The album is nothing but a musical delight.

The opening jam "End of the Night" is an up tempo track that has an electro-funk feel and I reserve no doubt within my mind that its bound to be a club banger. Another track that caught my ear is the third one on the album titled "Down Low" which is straight out funky and is bound to make the fans wanna go carnal on their equal halves. Other jams to look out for include "Best Friend's Girl" which conveys quite an interesting story and of course my favourite one "I Would Like" which features Gazza who spices it up with a touch of ragga dancehall. Lil D and KK are inseparable as far as friendship and music is concerned that's why they hooked up on "New Generation" to please the fans with a beautifully crafted jam. All in all the project offers some crucial life support for the somewhat dormant R&B genre in Namibia.

Lil D is hell bent on making a name for himself
Q&A WITH LIL D
I had the opportunity of interviewing Lil D about his current project (I squeezed in a few relevant questions too) and this is what the rising star had to say about it:

Which genre do you categorise your music?
For now my music leans more towards R&B and that's the genre that I've wanted to do all my life. But I personally feel that as a musician I am versatile. I can rap and do other styles of music such as afro-pop, pop and whole lot other. Versatility is a great asset for any musician.

How long did it take to complete the album?
It took me a couple of years to complete the album. From a financial standpoint it was a hustle to get it out as I had no backing and losing my tracks due to producers systems crashing piled on to the struggle.

"Adios": The R&B crooner has set sail.


What song(s) should the fans be on the lookout for?
Personally I feel that each and every track can have a really big impact on the music scene, but for the fans I know they'll like the track I did with Gazza. Its up-tempo and I know my Namibian people love to dance.

Which artist(s) inspire you?
Too many to mention as I draw inspiration from different  standpoints such as the struggle to putting out their art and the impact that they have on the rest of the world. One of my many inspirational artist is Pharrell Willimas. Despite all the success that he's had he still has that unsatisfied hunger and strives to be relevant today still.

For the female fans curiosity are you taken?
(laughs) Right now I'm single. Just  chilling and waiting till I find something good and worthwhile. Relationships are very tricky these days and you've got to tread carefully.

GET LIL D's ALBUM FOR N$100.00 (per copy) AT LOCAL MUSIC DISTRIBUTORS SUCH AS ANTONIO's ART. OR HIT HIM UP ON FACEBOOK @DESMOND NGE KATAMILA.

No comments:

Post a Comment