Friday 6 June 2014

EVERY FAMILY HAS A BLACKSHEEP.




Naka Blacksheep himself. The artist is renowned for his hard hitting lyrics

The common belief that every family has a black sheep is something which people continue to debate about but whether you believe it or not Blacksheep, or Naka as many people prefer to call him, is a fine example of that saying. We caught up with the man that some people find intimidating and we got to find out a lot about him. Here is what he had to say about the allegations that he and fellow stable mate and close friend Gazza are part of the illuminati, his life as a young man growing up, why he thinks the NAMA’s are not fair and a whole lot more.


Give us a brief introduction on yourself. When and Were where you born, your past living circumstances, your characters as a person and why you chose the name Blacksheep as your stage name.....

My name is Nakathingo Shimwino, born in Kwansa-sul, Angola, on the 20th ofMay 1981. I moved to  stay at a SWAPO camp in Nyango, Zambia where I stayed for a couple of years. I was quite young so my living circumstances were just like any other kid's. What matters is that there was food (which wasn't easy to come by, so you ate what was made available) and friends to play with. Thinking about it now, I can see that it wasn't easy, because that was the time our country was fighting for independence, and I am sure you know about Cassinga, which I don't want to go into because that could have been us. I remember we had to move around a lot in and between camps fearing attacks from the South African Defence Force, they probably wanted to make sure no seeds were planted by the freedom fighters. Those are moments I’ll never forget.

My siblings and I then moved to Kafue, which is in Zambia. We stayed with a family by the name of Mr & Mrs Nyendwa, who took us in as their own, they treated us the same way as they treated their kids. God bless them. We then moved to Namibia in 1991, where I went to school at Wanaheda Primary School (now known as Martti Ahtisaari Primary School) I could tell it was never easy for my parents to put us through school, because they were also trying to find themselves and imagine trying to put 5 kids through school. At the moment 1 child is already a pain for your pockets.

I matriculated at Centaurus High school. I was always a soccer player, and went on to represent my country at all junior levels, and a call up to the Brave warriors training camp. Things didn't go well in the camp, I was suspended, for only reasons known to them. I was always out-spoken so I feel the coaches felt a bit intimidated, because I wasn't like the other players, I always wanted to know more. I can take instructions, but at the end of the day I want to know why I was given those instructions, and what they will help me with. That’s me, I just want to know. I am a very curious individual, and that never really killed a cat.

I went to Cape Town to study, because my parents always gave me the "what are you going to do when soccer doesn't work out?" question, and they were quite right. One should always have education to fall back on. I regret not taking my soccer career further, but at the same time, I am glad I took my parents advice. I got the name Blacksheep way back in the early 90's from my older brother. I don't know why he felt I was a Blacksheep, maybe because of my complexion, but I was also the Blacksheep of the family. I was a quick thinker, which has landed me in trouble a couple of times, but it has also got me out of hot water. I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. Life taught me a lot.
               
When and how did you get into the music industry?

While in High school, I used to write lyrics, and mimic songs from different artists, such as Tupac, Biggie, Warren-G, Nate Dogg and any rapper back then, I knew their lyrics off by heart. Like I said I am curious, so I wanted to know how it felt like to record a song. So my long-time friend Fredro said he would put me on a song with Gazza and Qonja, and that time nobody could touch any of these guys when it came to putting down punch lines and metaphors. I felt Fredro threw me in at the deep end, but I like challenges. The song had people asking who Blacksheep was because I gave Qonja and Gazza a run for their money on that track. Nice song it was. Fredro then suggested I do another one of my own and this time Qonja should feature me, the rest as they say is history. Two albums later, I am up there amongst the most lyrical kwaito artist to ever grace a stage.

What were the main obstacles that you faced as a beginner in the industry?

I believe in mixing with the right people but having said that, you need to have your "A" game in check because challenges can arise anytime, and there’s no time to practice or rehearse for them. It wasn't easy because when news broke out that I had signed for G.M.P, rival record labels didn't take it lightly. So I had people throwing rocks at me figuratively ofcourse. But that never stopped me, I just had to be me, and I knew I would convince them that I meant business. I m not saying it’s easy, I am just saying its better than last, because the love I have been shown from the fans and friends is just immense and I’ll forever be grateful. There are those that still want to be snaks (trying to hate), but I concentrate on those that love me because at the end of the day, love always prevails.



Blacksheep on stage



Describe your relationship with G.M.P Records.

G.M.P and Blacksheep is strictly business. If there’s something we can’t agree on, then we agree to disagree. We continue working on building our good names. It can only get better.

Has your family been supportive in your decision to take up music as a career?

My family has been supportive in everything I do, but they always told me to keep my eyes on the prize. Music, just like soccer, is just a hobby until you can make millions from it.

Describe the relationship between you, Fredro and Qondja. Are you still in contact with them and do you plan on working with them in the future?

Ja, we cool. We have different missions, so we talk when we can. But all is well. It’s just that we have taken different approaches to life. Different routes but the same goal, which is success. I can only wish them all the best in their endavours.

Your latest project "Kalyampombo" seems to be doing well on the market. Are you satisfied with the response from the public and the fans towards the album and your music in general?

It’s doing quiet well, but that is what we aimed for. Things were a bit slow at the beginning but now I can see and feel the response from the people. I feel like it can do better, we put in a lot of hard work. It’s still picking up though.

On one of your songs on your current album (Kalyampombo) you made a bold statement about the rumours that you and Gazza are part of the illuminati. Do you believe that such a secret society exists? and why do you think people have linked the two of you to such an organization?

People always said we were illuminati, seriously I don't know where they got that from. But God knows his children, and He is the only one that can judge us. I am God fearing, and I am 100 % Lutheran, Hence the verse in my song. I wanted to make a statement in that song, and it seems to me that I did. People like judging you, even before they greet you and get to know you. I am a humble person, but I don't like people taking advantage of my kindness. I am a firm believer that, anybody can achieve anything, it just depends on the amount of effort you put in when doing that something. And NO, I don't believe in any society, I believe in God and only God.



Saka jive



 In your latest video "Ondakolwa" you seem to be promoting alcohol consumption. Do you think that this is appropriate in a time when Namibia is facing an alcohol abuse crisis that has been the main cause of violent crimes as well as other social ills in our country?

The song itself is promoting good times, not alcohol. We need to stop fooling ourselves, people wont stop drinking, but we need to teach them how to behave and how to consume alcohol responsibly. Circumstances lead to killings and other social ills, because killers and rapists are not born, they are shaped. Circumstances make them do such things. We need to tackle these social issues as a community, and as a nation, but education starts at home.

Who are the people that contributed immensely towards your album?

God always had something to do with it. I had friends that supported me, Uri Valdo and my business partner Fessy Kashe, who were always in the background. Gazza also helped here and there, but he doesn't like to interfere much, he only gives advice where he can. The producers that helped me on shaping the album put in 110%. God bless them all.

You and Gazza seem to be close friends or is it just a 'strictly' work relationship?

We are human beings. There’s a time for work and then there’s time to play. We work together, and we play and celebrate together.

Besides music what is the thread that keeps the quilt of your life together?

I have a 8-5 job, which is my main source of income, and then there are Projects that I have taken a keen interest in, so I can only hope all goes well in the other departments. But I don't stop trying. My father is a businessman, and I have big shoes to fill. My daughter keeps me grounded. When I am out, I know I have a little person at home looking up to me.

Are you working a new project? Tell us more about it....

I m working on my 3rd album titled EXODUS, meaning "a mass departure of People". This could be my final album, it all depends on whether I’ll have time for music or not. God told me, to call it EXODUS and only he knows why. I have seen signs. So I’ll keep it that way.

What inspires your lyrics?

I can’t really say. When I am in studio the words just come, but I am a bold person, I tell it like it is. I don't beat around the bush. There are people out there that want to say things, but are scared to be criticized or judged. I am not that person. I say what’s on my mind, and if I regret it one day, it will be another lesson learned.

Most people find you intimidating, I find you intimidating as well. Is this just part of your character as Blacksheep or are we holding wrong assumptions against you?

So I have been told, some fans even inbox me and say that they wanted to greet me but apparently they couldn’t because I look rude. It’s funny because, I wish I could greet every fan out there that I have, but I am not one to jump on people. You will never know if the water is cold or hot if you don't feel it. I am not rude at all. I just look serious. Infact, people tend to take advantage of you when you are lying down.

You have thrown a bunch of criticism towards the 2013 NAMA's via Facebook a while ago. What's your opinion on them, do you think that they are relevant to the music industry and would you partake in them in the near future?

The NAMA's are a great way for artists to showcase their talents, but I feel they’re not doing enough to protect the small guys. They focus on the big artists only. They make it look fair by giving awards that people really don't care about to artists we don't know, but we are not blind. We see what’s happening. If only they got artists involved in their things, instead of just calling us 2 weeks before the awards to ask for our availability. They are trying to do good for the industry, and I know you can’t make everyone happy, but I think you can make the majority of the people happy. I called them hypocrites because they contradict themselves. I don't know if I’ll partake in the NAMAs, all I know is that they cut artist's wings before they can even take off. I still have a bone to pick with them.

Do you think that Namibian musicians are well-off with the income that they make from their music?

I can’t speak for them. Everybody knows where they get their money from. People do music for different reasons. If studios and producing was free, I would give my music out for free for Namibians to listen to, and for the whole world to pay. But unfortunately we are also being milked by producers and we all know that in business, you wont be happy until you break-even.



Proud product of the ghetto.



What's your greatest achievement thus far, personal or career wise as a musician?

Blacksheep is still young, I have only been around for 3-4 years, but so far, I am getting the recognition I deserve, people know  my songs, but they don't know the face. So I have to work on getting the face out there. We taking it one day at a time. It’s not easy. But with the help of my friends and fans, we’ll get there.

Are you romantically involved in a stable relationship with someone?

I prefer to keep my private life and music separate. It’s like oil and water. They don't mix.

What's your favourite meal and drink?

I love marathon chicken (wambo chicken) and a lekker cold Fanta.

Do you have a favourite hangout spot?

Yes. My room. I don't go out much. I sit home and watch my movies and plan.
I did a lot of going out when I was young. If I had to go out, I like to go
to quiet places.

What's your favourite past-time?

Playing PS3 FIFA 13. Or watching series, or movies. I read quite a bit, here and there.

What's is your greatest aspiration?

I have taken qualities from different people. Which includes my parents, Dr Sam Nujoma and Dr Hifikepunye Pohamba. I like to learn from everyone. I look up to a lot of people, but at the end of the day, it all depends on the situation that you are in. I just like to have different qualities from high achieving people. That's my fuel.

Do you have a motto by which you live by?

Yes. Aluta continua.

Are you a religious person?

Very much so.

If you were the president for a week what new changes would you bring about?

I would probably look more at the education and health sectors. They really need improvement. Free education and medical assistance for all. The country can afford it, or at least they owe it to the people. At the same time, we need competent people in these sectors. The moment public servants know that things are free, then they become relaxed and rude towards the people. We need to get rid of that mentality. Nothing is free, there’s always someone paying for it and that’s the taxpayer.

Any final words to your fans and the public in general?

All I can do is thank them for bringing me this far. I promise to always give them the best of Blacksheep and nothing else. God bless them and their families. We have a long way to go. Lets just hold hands. They should know that with God, everything is possible.

THIS INTERVIEW WAS CONDUCTED IN JUNE 2013 !


No comments:

Post a Comment