Friday 30 May 2014

PANDEINGE: SKETCHING HER WAY TO THE TOP


Pandeinge Shambwila is a young sketch artist who hails from the small northern town of Ongwediva. A third year student at the Institute of Banking (IOB), Pandeinge juggles her education with her passion for sketching as a hobby and side hustle. We caught up with her in Windhoek, where she is temporarily based, and posed a few questions about her life as a female sketch artist.

Hi, how are you? Please introduce yourself to the readers
Halo. My full name is Pandeinge Shambwila and I am a part-time sketch artist and 3rd year student at IOB.

How did you start sketching?
Well the sketching bug bit long ago. I have been sketching way back since I can remember. As a child I was ever drawing things and I enjoyed doing it more than going out to play or to chill with friends.

A portrait of Marilyn Monroe


Do you consider sketching as your profession?
Not really. It’s a part-time thing that I do, I am still a student. But with that said I make sure to put 100% full effort and attention into my work.  I would rather describe this as a hobby that gets me paid from time to time.

Do you possess any educational qualifications in this type of art?
 Unfortunately I do not posses any educational qualifications in sketching. I am self-taught and I rely purely on my natural God given talent to get the job done. But I would love to go to art school, perhaps in the future or if I am offered a scholarship. I prefer to go to an arts school that’s abroad, artists and their art are more respected and admired there.

Pandeinge's delicate sketch of a horse.


Are there any sketch artists such as yourself? If yes, do you work together with them?
Of course there are. I know a couple of them personally, like Hage Mukwendje and Amuthenu Petrus. They are all equally good at their art. We plan to hold an exhibition of our work sometime in the future, if I receive adequate funding from the National Art Council this will become a reality for both of us and as well as for our current and potential future clients.

How much do you charge for your sketches?
A lot of people criticize me for under charging my work but I believe that the time will come when I will charge a normal market price for it. For now I am looking to put it out there and making it popular. I charge the following rates: A4-N$ 500.00, A3-N$ 700.00, A2-N$1000.00, A1-N$1300.00. I can also deliver my work to whatever place you are in Namibia.

Pandeinge presents a portrait to the Founding Father Dr Sam Nujoma


Is this a male dominated trade?
Yes, I do not know of any other female sketch artists like me. A lot of people that I meet are always surprised when they find out that I am a sketch artist and by the fact that I am a female one, some of them are a bit unsure of how good my art is but those are just wrong perceptions that people hold. My work always proves them wrong.

Is there real money to be made from this type of art?
 Well it depends on the number of clients that you get. In my case, I can say that currently I am not fully satisfied with the money that I make but it helps me get by so I am grateful for that.


NUDE: The intricate features of the female body

Do you have someone that you look up to in your field of art?
Yes, Kelvin Okaffor, a Nigerian born UK based sketch artist. His work is totally awesome. I watch a lot of his online tutorials just to learn a thing or two. I also admire artists such as: Alex Turner, Helen Green and Natalia Vasilyeva.


Have you sketched a well know or famous person so far?
Yes. So far I have sketched Sally Boss madam, The Dogg, Tobie Aupindi and the Founding Father of the Nation his honorable Tate Sam Nujoma.

For anyone that’s interested in this talented young lady's sketch art. You can contact her via email at pandeinge@gmail.com or shawtyp87@ymail.com or via her facebook profile: PandeingeShawty-P Moses.

No comments:

Post a Comment